15 February 2008

[S.A.D!?] ...but I'm not sad!

In light of it being valentine's day and all, I thought it would be an appropriate time to comment on dating.

It bothers me how a lot of people seem to think that finding a significant other or special someone is the point of their lives, like having a boyfriend or girlfriend (or whatever) is what you need to be happy. I think it's a hideous lie from popular culture. It's like if you aren't dating, you're a loser! Someone must always be interested in you and if you aren't in a relationship you should have just gotten out of one, and looking for another one to try again. Laaame! Why can't you just be happy by yourself?

I've gotten a lot of comments, especially recently, about how I'm still single, how I never have a boyfriend or date a lot or things don't work out... I've had more than one friend ask me, "don't they have Christian dating sites or something?" Why yes, yes they do. I'm 23 years old, I'm not desperate! That goes right back to the part where people seem to think I'm not normal for staying single and I'd be happier or have a better life with a boyfriend. In 1 Corinthians 7:34 Paul says, "...An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband." I'm more preoccupied at the moment with figuring out what to do with my life and how to fulfill God's purpose for me.

What's even funnier to me is that even my church has to touch on this. There was a class advertised in the bulletin called "Single: Blessing or Curse?" It seems that so many people struggle with this idea that being single means they have a problem (and maybe they do...) but I saw that and said, "Blessing!" (easy answer) and was done with it...I could teach that class! I've come to realize that this is how God wants it for me right now and I'm actually happy about it.

I want to grow, I want to see the world, I want to see where God leads me & I don't want preoccupation with boys to hold me back. I want to discover where my heart and passion for serving God is and then, maybe, God will give me someone who has a heart and passion like mine too. Until then, I think I'm better off going it alone...

No comments: